Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Book Review #745 - Soundless by Richelle Mead

27157701




For as long as Fei can remember, there has been no sound in her village, where rocky terrain and frequent avalanches prevent residents from self-sustaining. Fei and her people are at the mercy of a zipline that carries food up the treacherous cliffs from Beiguo, a mysterious faraway kingdom. 

When villagers begin to lose their sight, deliveries from the zipline shrink and many go hungry. Fei’s home, the people she loves, and her entire existence is plunged into crisis, under threat of darkness and starvation.

But soon Fei is awoken in the night by a searing noise, and sound becomes her weapon.


My Rating: 3/5


This book sounded so unique and of course being written by Richelle Mead I had to give it a go.

This book was set in China which I thought would have been an element I would enjoy as I don't think I have read many, if any books set there. However, I found that apart from the characters names the book could have been set literally anywhere in the world. There was no Chinese culture elements at all which was disappointing.

I liked the relationship between the protagonist and her sister although it felt like an overdone trope in YA literature where the protagonist has to save a sibling.

The main issue I had with this book was the lack of world building. I feel like Mead is used to writing long series and so is able to take her time with world building and so in this book it just never developed enough.

I did enjoy what little world building there was and I feel like this book had the potential outline to make a decent trilogy where things could have been built upon and not rushed. The amount of development needed to make a coherent story was too ambitious to fit into one small book.

No comments:

Post a Comment