Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Book Review #763 - Emma by Jane Austen

6969





Clever, rich - and single - Emma Woodhouse is perfectly content with her life and sees no need for either love or marriage. Nothing, however, delights her more than interfering in the romantic lives of others. But when she ignores the warnings of her good friend Mr. Knightley and attempts to arrange a suitable match for her protegee Harriet Smith, her carefully laid plans soon unravel and have consequences that she never expected. With its imperfect but charming heroine and its witty and subtle exploration of relationships, Emma is often seen as Jane Austen's most flawless work. 


My Rating: 3/5


I read this book as part of my quest to read all the books from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list.

This is my second Jane Austen book (the first being Northanger Abbey) and I really don't like how dialogue heavy her books seem to be.

Emma was a very hard character to feel any kind of warmth towards as I found her manipulative and selfish. She was also really unreliable as a narrator as she was really naive and only saw things how they related to her.

The amount of characters and how they all constantly connected to one another was something that I struggled to keep a hold of.

I also kept mixing up the Knightley brothers. One was referred to as Mr Knightley and the other as John Knightley.

No comments:

Post a Comment