Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Book Review #794 - Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte




"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I amHeathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.


My Rating: 3/5


This is yet another book that I attempted to read before (in fact 3 or 4 times) and just was never able to get past the first chapter.

This book was massively atmospheric. Every time I picked it up it was like it instantly transported me to the Yorkshire Moors.

This was most definitely a character driven novel and a harrowing take of unrequited, forbidden love and the lifetime grief in the aftermath of it.

Heathcliff is a literary character I have heard so much about and so I never expected him to be so unlikable. He was most definitely a tortured man who in modern day could do with a lot of therapy but I really didn't like nor could see past the way he treated Hareton, Cathy and Linton.

I can definitely see how this book has remained a favourite classic some hundred or so years since its publication because the setting is amazing and there is always something happening or you feel something is about to happen all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment