Monday, June 23, 2014

Book Review #456 - Breaking Butterflies by M. Anjelais



18523137




Sphinxie and Cadence. Promised to each other in childhood. Drawn together again as teens. Sphinxie is sweet, compassionate, and plain. Cadence is brilliant, charismatic. Damaged. And diseased. When they were kids, he scarred her with a knife. Now, as his illness progresses, he becomes increasingly demanding. She wants to be loyal--but fears for her life. Only the ultimate sacrifice will give this love an ending.


My Rating: 4/5


I received this book for review from Chicken House for Scholastic Australia.


The summary on the back of the book was very cryptic and so I had no idea at all what this book was about before reading.


The first thing I noticed with this book was that it is a lot darker than what the cover suggests.


The protagonist Sphinx annoyed me endlessly. I just couldn't understand her loyalty towards Cadence even after everything he had done to her.


Cadence was a character that creeped me out immensely - hence why I couldn't understand Sphinx's loyalty towards him. Even from a young age, everything that he did was very calculated.


Reading this book really opened my eyes to what a sociopath is. I knew the symptoms before but actually seeing them portrayed in a person and the way it influences the people around them made me see it a totally different way and I love it when I can take something like this away from a book.







No comments:

Post a Comment