Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Book Review #630 - No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club: A Diary of a Sixtieth Year by

3015207



My Rating: 2/5




Source: Book Club




Goodreads
























Marie Sharp is heading toward sixty and is just fine with it. She’s already had plenty of excitement in her life: sex and drugs in the freewheeling sixties, career and children, marriage and divorce. Now she’s ready to settle into a quiet, blissfully boring routine. No Italian classes or gym memberships or bicycle trips across Europe, thank you very much! Marie just wants to put her feet up and “start doing old things.”

She’s even sworn off men! But as it turns out, life still has some surprises in store, the biggest of which is a new grandson on the way. What’s more, Archie, her old childhood crush, suddenly reenters her life, and her closest friend falls seriously ill. Armed with a biting sense of humor, Marie wrestles with a life that refuses to follow her plans—and may still offer more possibilities than she realizes.

I read this book for the book club that I attend.

First of all, almost all the members of my book club are around the protagonist's age which from the title is obviously 60. I, on the other hand am young enough to be her grandchild. So obviously I am not the target audience for this book.

Books written in diary format have not gone down too well with me in the past (just read my review of Bridget Jones's Diary) and so I went into this book not expecting to like it.

Marie (the narrator) was so self-absorbed and the book just consists of her rambling for almost 250 pages.

The lack of plot and direction made this book seem slow and if I  wasn't 'required' to read this I would probably still be reading it now.

The first part of the book contains Marie looking forward to turning 60 because it means she won't have to try new things anymore. It's more like she can use her age as an excuse, when really she is just incredibly self-absorbed and lazy.

The second half of the book is about Marie going on and on and on (I think you get the point) about her first grandchild whilst also having to deal with the impending death of a lifelong friend.

Overall, this book was a boring, pointless, rambling mess and is the blueprint of what I don't want to be when I am 60 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment