Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Book Review #734 - If I Tell You by Alicia Tuckerman


36437107


Life and love don’t wait until you’re ready, but what if finding yourself means losing everything you’ve ever known?

Seventeen-year-old Alex Summers lives with a secret and the constant fear someone will find out. But when a new family moves to town, they bring with them their teenage daughter Phoenix Stone. When Alex falls for Phoenix, there is no warning. In a small town with small minds, girls don’t go out with other girls, even if they want to.

In fear there is bravery – you can either cling to the edge or have the courage to jump. But what do you do when you’re left spiralling through the free fall?
 
 
My Rating: 5.5/10
 
 
This is not a book that I would typically read but I was required to read it for a book club. I am happy that I read it though as I have been meaning to read more diverse books.
 
This book follows a girl called Alex who lives in a small, conservative Australian  country town.
 
A new girl named Phoenix arrives in town with her family and the town are horrified to discover that Phoenix is openly gay. This however awakens something in Alex who commences a secret relationship with Phoenix.
 
I never really felt the romantic connection between the two. They just felt more like friends to me and that Alex was only interested in Phoenix because she was the first lesbian she had met. Not to mention how fast their relationship progressed.
 
I predicted the ending about 100 pages from the end and I was so mad at myself for this because I felt like the ending did not impact me as much as it should have because I saw it coming.
 
I did not like Phoenix at all. Without spoiling anyone, I thought she was extremely selfish in the way she treated Alex throughout.
 
I thought that the reactions to Alex coming out were realistic for the narrow minded town that she lived in.
 
Overall, I feel like this book tried to accomplish a little too much. It is hard to elaborate on that opinion much without spoilers though and that was also the general view everyone had at my book club when we discussed this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment