Thursday, May 17, 2018

Book Review #735 - The Fandom by Anna Day

34866434




Cosplay ready, Violet and her friends are at Comic-Con.

They can’t wait to meet the fandom of mega movie, The Gallows Dance. What they’re not expecting is to be catapulted by freak accident into their favourite world – for real. Fuelled by love, guilt and fear, can the friends put the plot back on track and get out? The fate of the story is in their hands ...


My Rating: 2.5/5


I received this book for review from Scholastic Australia. 

This book sounded so interesting and definitely something I would enjoy. 

I predicted the way this book would end extremely early and from then on I felt like the book dragged immensely. 

The book was just over 400 pages long, felt about 1200 pages long and probably should have been 200 pages long. 

I loved all the pop culture references from things like Divergent, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones to thing like The Beatles.

The book begins with our protagonist Violet giving a class presentation about her favourite book The Gallows Dance. Through this she basically tells us the whole synopsis of that book so it removed all the possibilities for potential plot twists because from the first chapter we have a good idea of what is to come.

A thing that bothered me throughout was Violet's relationship with her brother Nate. Like Violet, I have a brother who is a few years younger than me. Unlike Violet, however I have never once felt the need to baby him like she did to Nate. I felt like for their relationship to be realistic the siblings should either have been friends or Nate should have been around 6 years old rather than 14. 

Another issue I had was Violet's relationship with her so called friends. I felt like she was only friends with Alice because they were in the same fandom because there was a constant rivalry between the two of them. 

Once Violet and her friends were transported to the world of The Gallows Dance I felt like there could have been more world building. I didn't like that I was constantly told information through Violet discussing 'canon' rather than being shown.

I did really like the world and characters with the world of The Gallows Dance and how there was a lot of detail considering the length of time actually spent there as well as the fact that it was essentially a book within a book.

Overall, I really struggled with this one. I had high expectations for it as it sounded so interesting but ultimately it fell a little flat for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment