Saturday, July 6, 2013

Book Review #338 - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Jane Eyre

Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity.

She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed.
 
 
My Rating: 4/5
 
 
This is the first real classic that I have read and so I am not really that sure on how to really review it. There isn't much I can say about this that hasn't already been said.
 
 
I liked how it started with Jane's childhood, as this gave her a lot of character. This book is definitely character driven and so being connected to Jane is massively important.
 
 
Because of my lack of knowledge of the era in which this book is set, I am not used to men like Mr Rochester and so I found him arrogant and brooding most of the time. There was a quality about him though that I found interesting.
 
 
The idea of marriage in that era was also something that I wasn't used to. They all marry out of necessity or to raise their social standing rather than love. 
 
 
Although I did find this book slow paced and it did take me around a week to read I really did enjoy it. I didn't realise how much I enjoyed reading it until I had finished.
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment