Monday, September 2, 2013

Book Review #352 - Out of His League by Pat Flynn

2732336


When Ozzie, an Australian exchange student, arrives in the West Texas town of Hope, life in America seems completely foreign. But his skills on the rugby pitch translate onto the football field as he becomes the star of a team in desperate need of a miracle to save their losing season.  As Ozzie settles in, America really does feel like the land of opportunity, and he soon finds himself torn between the lure of this new country and the ties that bind him to his home in Australia.


This co-mingling of cultures offers a fresh perspective of life in a Texas town where football is life, winning is everything, and the rest is just details.
My Rating: 2.5/5
Given that the only thing I love more than reading is sport, I had expected to enjoy it a lot more than what I did.
When I first started reading it, I really enjoyed it. It wasn't until Ozzie moved to the US that I started losing interest.
Ozzie was a character that I didn't like at all. He was under developed and I just wasn't able to connect with him at all. He also seemed too stereotyped.
This was a very smart concept for a book, but I just don't think it reached anywhere near its potential. I think this was largely to do with the writing style. It felt very choppy and had no continuity to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment