Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Book Review #354 - The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg


8464021

Love is all you need... or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut.

Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her non dating ways . . . which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like...
 
 
My Rating: 3.5/5
 
 
Beneath the massive amounts of Beatles references, this book has a very interesting plot. The references always had an explanation with it for non Beatles fans like myself.
 
 
I knew I was going to love this book when I discovered that I was unable to put it down. The short nature of the chapters and the writing style were the reason behind this.
 
 
At first I thought that Penny's club was a little immature and was just her way of getting over a heartbreak.
 
 
Although by the end of the book the different reasons why girls joined and the ways that being a member of the club helped them grow changed my mind.
 
 
There were some parts I thought were unrealistic, like Penny and Diane not talking for 4 years and then suddenly becoming best friends again almost instantly.
 
 
I also thought that the principal's reaction to the club was unrealistic and was only written that way for a further plot twist and also as an antagonist.
 
 
Given the plot, I was surprised by the amount of male characters. Although not very many of them were portrayed in a positive light.
 

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cute book! I agree with your negatives though, especially the friendship one. How are two people going to become instant best friends again after spending so much time apart? They aren't. It takes time to build a friendship and sometimes even longer to rebuild one.

    I'm a fellow non-Beatles fan and I felt the same way about the music references. Eulberg never lets you feel left out.

    Also: you should definitely check out Take a Bow if you haven't already. That one, in my opinion, is by far the best of Eulberg's novels, as its character development is absolutely stunning.

    I'm glad you enjoyed The Lonely Hearts Club, even if it wasn't your favorite, and I hope you like the author's other books even more!

    ReplyDelete