Monday, February 10, 2014

Book Review #416 - The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

656354



In Ponyboy's world there are two types of people. There are the Socs, the rich society kids who get away with anything. Then there are the greasers, like Ponyboy, who aren't so lucky. Ponyboy has a few things he can count on: his older brothers, his friends, and trouble with the Socs, whose idea of a good time is beating up greasers. At least he knows what to expect-until the night things go too far.


My Rating: 4/5


I seem to have been one of the few people who did not have this book for required reading during high school.


All I knew about this book was that it was highly liked and considered somewhat of a modern classic. Plot wise I knew nothing.


When I first started reading it I found it hard as there was too much dialogue for my liking. The story also seemed a little slow.


It wasn't until Ponytail and Johnny's incident in the park where I started understanding the hype about this book. It was around this time that I became fully invested in the story.


All of the characters are unique and even though they all belong to the same stereotyped group they are all individuals.


I watched the movie soon after finishing the book and although the characters didn't look exactly like I had expected them to I thought that it was a strong portrayal of the story. I also liked how it quoted the book word for word at times.

1 comment:

  1. This book was absolutely amazing. It made me laugh and it made me cry- a lot. This is a perfect read for everybody. Definitely one of my favorite books of all time.

    ReplyDelete