Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Book Review #417 - Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender

16139598



Colette Iselin is excited to go to Paris on a class trip. She’ll get to soak up the beauty and culture, and maybe even learn something about her family’s French roots.



But a series of gruesome murders are taking place across the city, putting everyone on edge. And as she tours museums and palaces, Colette keeps seeing a strange vision: a pale woman in a ball gown and powdered wig, who looks suspiciously like Marie Antoinette.




Colette knows her popular, status-obsessed friends won’t believe her, so she seeks out the help of a charming French boy. Together, they uncover a shocking secret involving a dark, hidden history. When Colette realizes she herself may hold the key to the mystery, her own life is suddenly in danger . . .





My Rating: 4.5/5




I received this book for review from Scholastic Australia.


This book combined a lot of things that I love in books - unique settings, strong historical element and paranormal activity.


From the very little I knew about Marie Antoinette before reading I could tell that this book was extensively researched and made me interested in learning more about her.


The romance in this book was a little lacking. This was not something that bothered me that much but I just felt that the relationship between Jules and Colette was underdeveloped.


The whole idea of the Secret of the Key was my favourite part of the book.


Hannah was the most annoying character in the book. I spent the majority of the book wishing that Colette and Pilar would stand up to her and stop letting her manipulate them.



There were parts of this book that reminded me of The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson so if you liked that I would recommend reading this.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this beautiful review. I think I'm really gonna enjoy this book. It's right up my alley. Thanks so much for sharing. The Best Underrated Books

    ReplyDelete