Friday, June 5, 2015

Book Review #556 - After (After #1) by Anna Todd

22557520




Tessa is a good girl with a sweet, reliable boyfriend back home. 

She’s got direction, ambition, and a mother who’s intent on 

keeping her that way. 

But she’s barely moved into her freshman dorm when she runs into

 Hardin. With his tousled brown hair, cocky British accent, tattoos,

 and lip ring, Hardin is cute and different from what she’s used to. 

But he’s also rude—to the point of cruelty, even. For all his

 attitude, Tessa should hate Hardin. And she does—until she finds

 herself alone with him in his room. Something about his dark 

mood grabs her, and when they kiss it ignites within her a passion 

she’s never known before. 

He’ll call her beautiful, then insist he isn't the one for her and 

disappear again and again. Despite the reckless way he treats her,

 Tessa is compelled to dig deeper and find the real Hardin beneath

 all his lies. He pushes her away again and again, yet every time

 she 

pushes back, he only pulls her in deeper. 

Tessa already has the perfect boyfriend. So why is she trying so

 hard to overcome her own hurt pride and Hardin’s prejudice about

 nice girls like her? 

Unless…could this be love?



My Rating: 4/5 




I had never heard of this book before when I got it for free from iBooks. It was a completely random purchase and I had absolutely no idea how popular it was. For this reason, I had no expectations for it nor did I portray Harry Styles as the male protagonist. 


For those supposedly living under a rock like I was, this book was initially a One Direction fanfiction on Wattpad and became insanely popular that after a few name changes got a publishing deal. 


I don't usually read books that are purely romance nor do I ever read smut but something about this book grabbed me from the very first page and I found myself absolutely captivated by the story. 


Clearly, the writing was a little immature and flawed but I thought it conveyed the story well particularly for a first time author. 


I found some aspects of the book a little repetitive. I mean how many times can Hardin make the exact same mistake and Tessa forgive him? It got a little ridiculous towards the end. 


I have read a few books now in the "New Adult" genre and am wondering why all the males are ALL the same? They are all bad guys who treat the girl like crap and then come good and mature by the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment