Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Book Review - Wings (Wings #1) by Aprilynne Pike

5056084



Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.
 
 
My Rating: 7/10
 
 
I read and reviewed this book back in 2012 and here is my original review. I decided to review it again because I didn't feel like that review accurately portrayed my opinions.
 
 
This was a very easy book to read. I read this straight after finishing Ready Player One and so the larger print sized helped me fly through this book.
 
 
Laurel has always known she was different but it isn't until she starts school after a lifetime of homeschooling that she realises just how different she is.
 
 
As if the fact Laurel can only eat fruit and veggies wasn't weird enough, Laurel notices a small lump on her back which soon blossoms into a large flower.
 
 
During this whole discovery Laurel never tells her parents which I thought was strange considering her close relationship with them. Instead she tells her new friend and nerd David who helps her come to the realisation that she is not human.
 
 
I never really liked David. He seemed too perfect and tries too hard. I can see that a love triangle is going to develop between him, Laurel and another non-human in Tamani. This could even potentially develop into a love square if Chelsea is considered as she seems to have an unrequited crush on David.
 
 
I really loved the unique mythology of how the faeries are plant type creatures and the lifelong feud between them and the trolls whose goal is to get into the secret faerie realm of Avalon.
 
 
Overall, I thought this was a solid first book in a series and I am intrigued to see where this story will go in future novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment