Friday, May 9, 2014

Book Review #446 - Fire & Flood (Fire & Flood #1) by Victoria Scott

18628138



A modern day thrill ride, where a teen girl and her animal companion must participate in a breathtaking race to save her brother's life—and her own.
 

Tella's brother is dying. He's got cancer, and Tella is helpless to save him. Or so she thought. When an invitation arrives for Tella to compete in the Brimstone Bleed, a deadly competition that will lead her through treacherous jungle and scorching desert, she doesn't think twice. Because the prize is a cure to any illness. But Tella will be facing more than just the elements.


My Rating: 4/5


I received this book for review from Chicken House for Scholastic Australia


Comparisons between this book and The Hunger Games made me both hesitant and excited to read this. 


I loved this book. The plot was unique and not like the Hunger Games at all. 


I loved the whole concept of the Brimstone Bleed and the pandora. The pandora reminded me of pokemon. 


I would have liked more character development as I didn't feel any connection with any of the characters - Tella especially. I found that I actually loved the pandora more than the humans. 


I didn't like how there was no build up to the relationship between Tella and Guy. 


The book ends with a relatively huge cliff-hanger and there are enough unanswered questions to leave me eagerly anticipating the sequel.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review, I loved it too! It really wasn't anything like The Hunger Games, but gave off that same kind of feel. Think it was more the contest between the characters. I loved Tella's Pandora, he was adorable but was really surprised by him in the end.

    ReplyDelete