Monday, December 1, 2014

Book Review #517 - Shiver the Whole Night Through by Darragh McManus

22554125



After months of bullying and romantic heartbreak, seventeen-year-old Aidan Flood feels just about ready to end it all. But when he wakes up one morning to find that local beauty and town sweetheart Sláine McAuley actually has, he discovers a new sense of purpose, and becomes determined to find out what happened to her. The town is happy to put it down to suicide, but then one night Aidan gets a message, scratched in ice on his bedroom window: 'I didn't kill myself.' Who is contacting him? And if Sláine didn't end her own life... who did?


My Rating: 3/5 


I received this book for review from The Five Mile Press


This book is set in Ireland and so a lot of the characters had Irish names and whilst I just pronounced them my own way to save myself confusion I did appreciate the pronunciation guide at the beginning of the book. 


This book was rather slow and drawn out. At around 300 pages it could have perhaps been a little shorter in length. 


I live in one of the hottest places on Earth that rarely even gets rain so I have never experienced snow so I really enjoyed the way the author depicted the snow in a very descriptive manner.  


I would have liked there to have been more dialogue. There were long portions of this book that were simply Aidan's ramblings. 


The mystery element was the slowest to develop and I would have liked more suspense to go with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment