Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Book Review #539 - The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles #1) by Rick Riordan

9520195




I guess it started the night our Dad blew up the British Museum...



Carter and Sadie Kane's dad is brilliant Egyptologist with a secret plan that goes horribly wrong. An explosion shatters the ancient Rosetta Stone and unleashes Set, the evil god of chaos...



Set imprisons Dr Kane is a golden coffin, and Carter and Sadie are forced to run for their lives. To save their dad, they must embark on a terrifying quest from Cairo and Paris to the American South-west and discover the truth about their family's connection to the House of Life: an Egyptian temple of magic that has existed for thousands of years.



The pharaohs of ancient Egypt are far from dead and buried. And so, unfortunately are their gods...


My Rating: 2.5/5


After reading The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series I decided to pick this book up whilst I waited for my bookmail of the Heroes of Olympus series to arrive. 


With the PJO series, even though I knew very little about Greek Mythology I was still able to follow the story. With this book, knowing very little about Egyptian Mythology made this book very confusing for me. 


I also found the pacing of this book to be extremely slow. It took me around a week to finish which is a long time for me, but by the time I had finished it I had felt like I had been reading it for months. 


This book still had the Rick Riordan quality to it, which I believe is the only reason why I was able to finish it. 


The book is told from split narration between the twin protagonists Sadie and Carter Kane. They both had very distinctive voices and I never once confused them throughout. 


Overall I felt like I probably went into this book with unrealistic expectations but even if I had read this book before the PJO series I'd like to think my views would be the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment