Monday, May 16, 2016

Book Review #633 - The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus #1) by Rick Riordan

11714579

My Rating: 3/5


Source: Bought


Goodreads













Jason has a problem. He doesn't remember anything before waking up on a school bus holding hands with a girl. Apparently she's his girlfriend Piper, his best friend is a kid named Leo, and they're all students in the Wilderness School, a boarding school for "bad kids." What he did to end up here, Jason has no idea-except that everything seems very wrong.

Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, and her vivid nightmares reveal that he's in terrible danger. Now her boyfriend doesn't recognize her, and when a freak storm and strange creatures attack during a school field trip, she, Jason, and Leo are whisked away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood. What is going on?

Leo has a way with tools. His new cabin at Camp Half-Blood is filled with them. Seriously, the place beats Wilderness School hands down, with its weapons training, monsters, and fine-looking girls. What's troubling is the curse everyone keeps talking about, and that a camper's gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist they are all-including Leo-related to a god.


I loved The Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan but didn't particularly enjoy The Red Pyramid (the first book in Riordan's Kane Chronicles series). The main issue I had with TRP was that it was too long and drawn out.

For that reason, I really wasn't if I was going to like The Lost Hero or not as whilst it is set back in the Percy Jackson universe, it is of a similar length to TRP.

I started off really enjoying this book. The three characters Jason, Piper and Leo were all fresh and interesting.

I am not sure when it started but I thought that whilst I was still enjoying the story, the book wasn't really going anywhere and was taking me way too long to read it.

I love that some characters from the PJO series made appearances in this book especially Annabeth - and I am looking forward to Percy making an appearance in this series.

There was a lot of action in this book and like with all Riordan's books there was an amazing depth to the mythology.

This book felt a lot more mature than the PJO series and yet I felt like the writing stayed the same. This seemed to clash at times. 

I felt there were perhaps too many gods and creature of the like introduced. The glossary at the back helped but there didn't need to be as many as there were.

Overall, I was a little disappointed with this book, but am eager to read the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment