Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Book Review #635 - Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods #1) by Melissa de la Cruz


872333


My Rating: 3.5/5


Source: Bought


Goodreads













When the Mayflower set sail in 1620, it carried on board the men and women who would shape America: Miles Standish; John Alden; Constance Hopkins. But some among the Pilgrims were not pure of heart; they were not escaping religious persecution. Indeed, they were not even human. They were vampires.The vampires assimilated quickly into the New World. Rising to levels of enormous power, wealth, and influence, they were the celebrated blue bloods of American society. 


The Blue Bloods vowed that their immortal status would remain a closely guarded secret. And they kept that secret for centuries. But now, in New York City, the secret is seeping out. Schuyler Van Allen is a sophomore at a prestigious private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes instead of the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates, and she lives with her reclusive grandmother in a dilapidated mansion. Schuyler is a loner...and happy that way. Suddenly, when she turns fifteen, there is a visible mosaic of blue veins on her arm. She starts to crave raw food and she is having flashbacks to ancient times. Then a popular girl from her school is found dead... drained of all her blood. Schuyler doesn't know what to think, but she wants to find out the secrets the Blue Bloods are keeping. But is she herself in danger?


I have read this book once before (before I started this blog). I decided to re-read it because I am trying to condense my TBR and having almost the complete Blue Bloods series on there really helps with that. 

This book reminded me so much of Gossip Girl with it following Manhattan's elite - the elite in this book just happen to be vampires. 

Also like Gossip Girl, there was continual product name dropping which was annoying at first but I blocked it out pretty quickly. 

I found the whole Croatan plot really interesting, the only other time I have seen theories of this was in an episode of Supernatural. 

I also really loved the whole vampire mythology in this book. It was highly unique and I can't wait to learn more about it. 

The only negative things I can say about this book is that it took too long to get going. I think the word 'vampire' was first used around page 144 and this is a 302 page book. 

The other negative is what I mentioned earlier about the product name dropping but also the full descriptions about characters wardrobes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment