Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Book Review #672 - Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps #1) by R.L. Stine

6675977





11-year-old Josh and 12-year-old Amanda just moved into the oldest and weirdest house on the block--the two siblings think it might even be haunted! But of course, their parents don't believe them. You'll get used to it, they say. Go out and make some new friends. 

But the creepy kids are not like anyone Josh and Amanda have ever met before. And when they take a shortcut through the cemetery one night, Josh and Amanda learn why.

My Rating: 3.5/5


My brother and I used to love the Goosebumps series when we were growing up. A few weeks ago I was clearing out my childhood shelves and found our collection. I remembered how much I loved them, and so though why not read them now as an adult.

Like most Goosebumps books (the ones I remember anyway), the book starts off with a family moving into a new home. Neither of the children Amanda and Josh were too happy about the move, but it's the family pet Petey that takes the move the hardest. 

One difference I noticed reading this now is just how predictable it was. 

The house they are moving to is in a town called Dark Falls, oh and the house was given to them for free in a will of an uncle that no one has actually heard of. 

Anyway, I really did enjoy the 20 or so minutes it took me to read this book. Each chapter ended with a mini cliffhanger which used to keep me reading way past my bedtime as a child but definitely helps the pacing of the story as you simply don't want to put the book down. 

There were a few things that I thought were a little morbid for a children's book that probably wouldn't have been in the 1990's. 

The ending was open ended and I know there are a few Goosebumps books that have sequels, but this doesn't seem to be one of them which is odd considering how it ended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment