Thursday, January 26, 2017

Book Review #677 - Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (Part One - Chapters 1-7)



Set against the dramatic backdrop of the American Civil War, Margaret Mitchell's epic love story is an unforgettable tale of love and loss, of a nation mortally divided and its people forever changed. At the heart of all this chaos is the story of beautiful, ruthless Scarlett O'Hara and the dashing soldier of fortune, Rhett Butler.


My Rating: N/A


I have been wanting to read this book for a very long time but the sheer size of it has always intimidated me which is why I decided to break it into parts to read it, which is also how I am going to review it. 

The story is set in the American south in the build up to the US Civil War which as an Australian I knew nothing about other than it was the end of slavery. 

I am struggling with Scarlett and her spoilt, childlike manner and hope she matures as the book progresses. 

The only negative thing I have found about this book so far is the slaves' dialogue in that I am finding it really hard to decipher as words are spelt the way they are pronounced rather than how they should be spelt. 

I am shocked at the way women were treated then especially how for unmarried women, eating in public is frowned upon and how they stuff themselves full of food and then tighten their corsets before they go to any party or event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment