Thursday, July 19, 2018

Book Review #752 - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

73074






Chief Bromden, half American-Indian, whom the authorities believe is deaf and dumb, tells the story of a mental institution ruled by Big Nurse on behalf of the all-powerful Combine.

Into this terrifying grey world comes McMurphy, a brawling gambling man, who wages total war on behalf of his cowed fellow-inmates. What follows is at once hilarious and heroic, tragic and ultimately liberating.


My Rating: 3/5


I read this book as part of my challenge to read one book a month from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die List.

I found this book a little slow to begin with but once McMurphy entered the story and his constant altercations with Nurse Ratchet began I found I couldn't put the book down.

I found the book rather confusing at times and I think this may have been done on purpose as the narrator is unreliable and unstable hence why he is in a mental institution.

This book contained one of my biggest pet peeves and that is that it didn't have chapters instead just had long parts. 

This is one of the few modern books I have read from the 1001 Books list and I have to say so far that I definitely prefer the older classics. 

I have yet to watch the film adaptation of this book and I know that the movie cuts the books narrator out. The movie did win a lot of Oscars so I am expecting to love the movie more than the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment