Thursday, July 26, 2018

Book Review #754 - The Jerilderie Letter by Ned Kelly and Alex McDermott

15986832





"I have been wronged & my mother & four or five men lagged innocent & is my brothers & sisters & my mother not to be pitied also who has no alternative only to put up with the brutal & cowardly conduct of a parcel of big ugly fat-necked wombat headed big bellied magpie legged narrow hipped splay-footed sons of Irish Bailiffs or english landlords which is better known as Officers of Justice or Victorian Police."--Ned Kelly

The Jerilderie Letter is Ned Kelly's manifesto, the story of a widow's son outlawed.


My Rating: 4/5


I really enjoyed the introduction written by Alex McDermott as Ned Kelly's part was written like you were already supposed to be familiar with his story and it had been a while since I learnt Ned's story in any great detail.

I had no idea this letter even existed until I visited the State Library of Victoria when I was in Melbourne recently. I went there to see Ned Kelly's real armor and was surprised to see the real handwritten (by Joe Byrne) Jerilderie Letter and once I saw the book for sale in their bookshop of course I picked it up and actually started reading it on the roadtrip to Glenrowan.

Ned Kelly's part of the book was rather confusing. It was obvious that they weren't that educated as there was no real coherency to the story. I really enjoyed the part about Stringbark Creek and this was my favourite part in the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment