Monday, March 7, 2011

Book Review #24 - The Moth Diaries by Rachel Klein



Ernessa is a vampire. She wants me, and only me, to see it. Her hand is guiding mine as I write these words.

At a girl's boarding school, a sixteen-year old pupil records her most intimate thoughts in a diary. The object of her obsession is her roommate, Lucy Blake, and Lucy's friendship with their new and disturbing classmate.

Ernessa is a mysterious presence with pale skin and hypnotic eyes. Around her swirl dark secrets and a series of ominous disasters. As fear spreads through the school, fantasy and reality mingle in a waking nightmare of gothic menace, fuelled by the lusts and fears of adolescence.

And at the centre of the diary is the question that haunts all who read it: Is Ernessa really a vampire? Or is the narrator trapped in her own fevered imagination?


My Rating: 3/5



I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book or not. It is set in diary format, and I had never read a book like that before.

After reading this book I can say that I liked everything about this book except the main character.

First of all you never find out her name, which made it harder to connect to her. Then she did nothing but act jealous the entire novel. She became obsessed with Lucy and that got annoying at times.

There were parts that just didn't make sense to me and there were parts in the story that I thought were really weird.

The plot was intriguing and had unexpected twists.

There is a movie adaptation coming out sometime this year.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I agree with you on not knowing the MC's name. That would really turn me off to reading a book.

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete