Thursday, February 21, 2013

Book Review #278 - Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura #1) by Jonathan Maberry

Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1)

In the zombie-infested, post-apocalyptic America where Benny Imura lives, every teenager must find a job by the time they turn fifteen or get their rations cut in half. Benny doesn't want to apprentice as a zombie hunter with his boring older brother Tom, but he has no choice. He expects a tedious job whacking zoms for cash, but what he gets is a vocation that will teach him what it means to be human.
 
 
My Rating: 5/5
 
 
I have had this book loaned from the Library for a while now and the first time I tried reading it months ago I couldn't get further than the first chapter.
 
 
When I picked it up this time I never expected to like it as much as  did. Once I got into the storyline I finished it in less than a day.
 
 
It is really fast paced, and given that it is over 400 pages it contains alot of action.
 
 
The protagonist Benny was immature at times. Even though I found that annoying at times I could see that it was justified.
 
 
My favourite character other than Benny was his brother Tom. I would have liked to have seen some of the story from his perspective.
 
 
The only character that I didn't like was Nix. Given that she seems to be a main character, I hope I warm up to her in future books.
 
 
I really liked the setting, it reminded me at times of The Forest of Hands and Teeth with the fence keeping the zombies out.

3 comments:

  1. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable
    for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme?
    Great work!

    Here is my homepage ... bearable

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds interesting... I instantly recognized the cover too. I should pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this book (and the following ones) too. :) I hope you continue with the series. I'm sure you'll warm up to Nix. She's not so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete