Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Book Review #347 - The Name of the Star (Shades of London #1) by Maureen Johnson

The Name of the Star (Shades of London #1)

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humour, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.
 
 
My Rating: 4.5
 
 
Given that I have an interest in history and am somewhat of an anglophile I was probably always going to love this book, but I was still surprised by how much I did.
 
 
Maureen Johnson is no new author to me, in fact I have read most of her other novels. This is probably my favourite of her books so far.
 
 
The only thing that kind of annoyed me, was the constant explaining of British things. As an Australian I thought that our cultures were similar enough for me to comprehend without the constant explanations.
 
 
This book pretty much had everything - action, suspense, mystery, romance and I could go on. The romance aspect was not as major as the other themes which I liked.
 
 
All the characters were well developed and had intriguing personalities.
 
 
The whole Jack the Ripper aspect was what initially drew my interest to this book and I thought that this helped it incorporate history into the story.
 

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book too-I thought Rory had such a fun narration style and I was eagerly pulled along on the wild ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series. Wait till you read The Madness Underneath, The Thing happened and I wanted to throw my book across the room. I haven't recovered yet.

    ReplyDelete