Friday, August 30, 2013

Book Review #351 - City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) by Cassandra Clare

15729137


Jace is now a servant of evil, bound for all eternity to Sebastian. Only a small band of Shadowhunters believe he can be saved. To do this they must defy the Clave. And they must act without Clary. For Clary is playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. 

Clary is willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

What price is too high to pay, even for love?
 
 
My Rating: 4/5
 
 
This is my least favourite in this series so far. It had been around 3 months since I read book 4 and so it took me a while to get back into the Shadowhunter world.
 
 
Sebastian was the character that surprised me the most in this book. I actually felt sorry for him. Underneath his evilness, he actually seems quite vulnerable, innocent and very lonely. I wanted to believe that he had changed, but I knew that he would have had an ulterior motive.
 
 
Although I felt like the plot in this book was significantly weaker than the previous books, I still liked reading about the world and the characters.
 
 
I would have liked more interaction between Clary and Simon as I really like their friendship but am glad that Simon seems to have developed a romantic relationship of his own.
 
 
I didn't really feel the need for Jordan and Maia to be included. They were barely mentioned at all throughout, and whenever they were it felt like it was only to remind you that they still existed.
 
 
The ending of this book was completely not what I had expected. The cliff hangers in this series always seem to come out of nowhere.
 
 
Now while I am waiting for book 6 (City of Heavenly Fire) to be published, I might finally start reading The Infernal Devices series.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not going to read your review because I'm up to book 2, but I'll comeback when I read this one :-)

    ReplyDelete