Thursday, January 8, 2015

Book Review #529 - The Island (The Island #1) by Jen Minkman

17825118




I walk toward the sea. The endless surface of the water extends to the horizon, whichever way I look.

Our world is small. We are on our own, and we only have ourselves to depend on. We rely on the Force deep within us, as taught to us by our forefathers. 

If I were to walk westward from here, I would come across a barrier – the Wall. Behind it, there are Fools. At least, that’s what everyone says.

I have never seen one.

Leia lives on the Island, a world in which children leave their parents to take care of themselves when they are ten years old. Across this Island runs a wall that no one has ever crossed. The Fools living behind it are not amenable to reason – they believe in illusions. That’s what The Book says, the only thing left to the Eastern Islanders by their ancestors.

But when a strange man washes ashore and Leia meets a Fool face to face, her life will never be the same. Is what she and her friends believe about the Island really true?

Or is everyone in their world, in fact, a Fool?



My Rating: 2/5



This novella was completely different to any other dystopian story I have ever read. 


This book didn't have a dystopian setting which was the main difference as it is set on a remote island. 


I've only gotten around to watching 2 Star Wars films and know next to nothing about them so a lot of the references to them went way over my head. 


The ending was obvious from the second I understood the very first Star Wars reference. 


Overall I really enjoyed this book/novella and like how developed the story and characters were considering the short length. It was a unique take on the dystopian genre whilst adding it's own pop-culture twist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment