Monday, January 12, 2015

Book Review #531 - The Notebook (The Notebook #1) by Nicholas Sparks

15931




Set amid the austere beauty of the North Carolina coast, The Notebook begins with the story of Noah Calhoun, a rural Southerner recently returned form the Second World War. Noah is restoring a plantation home to its former glory, and he is haunted by images of the beautiful girl he met fourteen years earlier, a girl he loved like no other. Unable to find her, yet unwilling to forget the summer they spent together, Noah is content to live with only memories...until she unexpectedly returns to his town to see him once again.


Like a puzzle within a puzzle, the story of Noah and Allie is just the beginning. As it unfolds, their tale miraculously becomes something different, with much higher stakes. The result is a deeply moving portrait of love itself, the tender moments and the fundamental changes that affect us all. It is a story of miracles and emotions that will stay with you forever.



My Rating: 3/5


This was my first Nicholas Sparks novel. This book was completely different to what I had expected. I thought it was going to be sappy and over the top instead it too smart for that. 


The realness of the characters is what really propels this story. Noah was my favourite character as I felt like I understood him from the very start. Ali however, at times annoyed me as I felt like she thought she was too good for Noah. 


Overall, the romance didn't really bother me. If they hadn't have ended up together at the end of the book I don't think it would have bothered me at all but the character development was truly phenomenal and I am definitely going to be reading more of Nicholas Sparks. 


I know there is a sequel to this book, The Wedding. I will probably read it at some point in the future but as I am okay with how the book ended I'm not too bothered if I never read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment