Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Book Review #647 - The Rain (The Rain #1) by Virginia Bergin

21116887




It's in the rain...and just one drop will kill you.

They don't believe it at first. Crowded in Zach's kitchen, Ruby and the rest of the partygoers laugh at Zach's parents' frenzied push to get them all inside as it starts to drizzle. But then the radio comes on with the warning, "It's in the rain! It's fatal, it's contagious, and there's no cure."

Two weeks later, Ruby is alone. Anyone who's been touched by rain or washed their hands with tap water is dead. The only drinkable water is quickly running out. Ruby's only chance for survival is a treacherous hike across the country to find her father-if he's even still alive.



My Rating: 4.5/5


As a huge fan of the dystopian genre, I was really intrigued by the premise of this book as it seemed so unique compared to others in the genre. 

Firstly, the book is set in the current day, not decades or even centuries into the future where a dystopian society has already begun. 

Secondly, there are no zombies, aliens or controlling governments. Instead, the earth's most needed resource water is the ultimate villain. 

When I first started this book I loved how open and honest Ruby (the protagonist) was. It was almost like she had no filter and I loved this because I felt like I truly knew her. 

Ruby's relationship with her step-father Simon was a favourite dynamic of mine in the book. Ruby went from hating him unconditionally to having to completely trust him. 

I loved how Ruby rescued all the neighbourhood dogs and transported them around with her as this is something that I could see myself doing in that situation. 

There were moments though where I wanted to reach into the book and slap Ruby. For example, she walks outside with no protection from the rain and she seemed more concerned about her physical appearance than her actual wellbeing. Like instead of thinking of sources of clean water, she is raiding shops for makeup and clothing. 

The whole romantic aspect between Ruby and Darius did not impact the story at all and felt rather out of place in the story. 

The way the book ended I am glad that I have already ordered the sequel entitled The Storm

No comments:

Post a Comment