Thursday, October 18, 2018

Book Review #777 - To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #1) by Jenny Han

21936986





Lara Jean's love life is about to go from imaginary to out of control.

Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her - one for every boy she's ever loved. She can say anything she wants, because the letters are for her eyes only. Until the day they're sent out …



My Rating: 4.5/5


I went into this book with relatively high expectations especially through all the extra hype it has been receiving lately due to the Netflix movie.

I always thought the plot was a little juvenile which has been what has deterred me from picking it up earlier and whilst this was something that I did think whilst reading, I was easily able to overlook this.

My favourite aspect in this book was the family dynamics especially between Lara Jean and her sisters. I don't have any sisters but their relationship seemed real and was the soul of the story.

I was actually a little disappointed that Margot left for a majority of the novel as I just loved the Song sisters' chemistry with one another.

Kitty was a fun character to read. She made up for Lara Jean's somewhat boring personality and her book long quest to get a dog was very similar to my brothers years ago.

I never really connected to Lara Jean all that much. I found her rather boring and was overshadowed by the much more colourful supporting characters. Although I definitely related to her when it came to being an introvert and the abundance of Harry Potter references. 

I can potentially foresee this series developing a love triangle which I really do not want to see especially as I liked neither Peter nor Josh.

Peter was too arrogant and took a little too much joy in making Lara Jean uncomfortable. 

Josh on the other hand was too mopey and was always looking for attention and validation. 

Overall though I am really happy with how the book ended up and am hoping that Margot is more present in future books.

No comments:

Post a Comment