Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Book Review #778 - Grim Crims and Convicts 1788 -1820 (Fair Dinkum Histories #2) by Jackie French

10762553





I read this book for the 2018 Popsugar Reading Challenge to read a book relating to your ancestry. I'm an amateur genealogist and so far have discovered three convict ancestors.

I shamefully did not know that much about the settlement of New South Wales at all. I am from Western Australia and we have a strong convict history ourselves and so that is what I learnt in school.

I've said this many times before but I love history books aimed at children because they are packed full of information but at the same time are told in such a fun and entertaining way.

There was a small mention of the Launceston settlement which I loved because that was where 2 of my convict ancestors (my 3x great grandparents) were sent.

I would definitely recommend this book to Australians wanting to learn Australian history in an effortless way or any fans of Horrible Histories and this is most definitely the Aussie version of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment