Thursday, April 4, 2013

Book Review #299 - The Wizard of Oz (Oz #1) by L. Frank Baum

The Wizard of Oz

Follow the yellow brick road!

Dorothy thinks she's lost forever when a tornado whirls her and her dog, Toto, into a magical world. To get home, she must find the wonderful wizard in the Emerald City of Oz. On the way she meets the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman and the Cowardly Lion. But the Wicked Witch of the West has her own plans for the new arrival - will Dorothy ever see Kansas again?
 
 
My Rating: 4/5
 
 
This was my first time reading this howver having seen the film I was familiar with the story. The only problem I had with the film was that it was a musical, so I was probably always going to prefer the book.
 
 
The story had a lot more depth that I had expected, especially with the characters and the adventure. The style of the adventure reminded me at times of The Chronicles of Narnia.
 
 
Given how old the book actually is, I was surprised that it rarely felt that old. Apart from mentions of fashion and things like that it felt like it could have been written in any decade.



No comments:

Post a Comment