Friday, December 6, 2013

Book Review #395 - Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

9359493

In Depression-era America, everyone's running away from something. Some people join the circus to escape. Jacob Jankowski hitches a ride on a freight train and in that instant his life changes. By morning, he's landed a job with the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. By nightfall, he's in love.
 
 
My Rating: 5/5
 
 
I don't read a lot of Adult Fiction nor do I read much Historical Fiction so I am surprised I liked this book as much as I did. I would rate this as one of my favourite books that I have read in 2013.
 
 
This book is told from two perspectives. Jacob as a 93 year old and then him looking back at himself as a 23 year old.
 
 
I found the whole circus part very interesting and could see how much research must have gone into creating it.
 
 
I loved all the animals especially Rosie and Queenie. Even though he was pure evil, one of my favourite characters was August simply because I found him interesting and unpredictable.
 
 
I really loved the writing style and so I can definitely see myself reading more of Sara Gruen's books in the future.
 
 
There were a few awkward moments throughout which is why I wouldn't recommend this for younger readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment