Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Book Review #792 - Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

12262741





At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life. With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State — and she would do it alone.


Told with suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild powerfully captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her.


My Rating: 3.5/5


I've had this book on my TBR since March 2017 but never had the urge to pick it up until I saw it heavily referenced in the Gilmore Girls revival. 

I never really expected this book about a woman's experiences on a walking trail (that I actually had no previous knowledge about) to be as interesting as it was nor how vividly she would be able to illustrate what each day was like for her doing it.

I think what makes this book so intriguing and popular to read is because Cheryl is so relatable. She is not some outdoor enthusiast who sees a walking trail as a common adventure to do but she is just an average woman who needed an escape following the death of her mother.

In the Gilmore Girls episode, people were divided into the book or movie camps. As I have not yet watched the movie I am firmly in the book's camp and considering how much I enjoyed the book I can't really see this changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment