Thursday, April 3, 2014

Book Review #430 - Because It Is My Blood (Birthright #2) by Gabrielle Zevin

13163011




“Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”- Michael Corleone, The Godfather
 

Freed from jail, Anya hopes that things will get back to normal. But life on the outside is even more dangerous than life behind bars. Some of her gangland family want revenge for the crime for which she has done time: the shooting of her uncle. Forced to flee the country, Anya hides out in a cacao plantation in Mexico. There she learns the secrets of the chocolate trade, a trade that is illegal and deadly in her native New York. There too she discovers that seemingly random acts of violence carried out across the world have a single target: her family. As innocent bystanders get caught in the crossfire Anya must act fast and decisively to stop it, no matter what the danger to herself.


My Rating: 4.5/5


This book is the sequel to All These Things I've Done and is the second book in the trilogy. 


I liked this book a lot more than the first one. Simply because I found the plot more interesting and I loved the character development. 


In this book Anya discovers that she can't escape her life as she was born into it but that she can control it to be something she feels comfortable with. Through this discovery, I felt like she matured a lot even though she was already very mature. 


Natty was the character that matured the most. She went from a dependent young girl to a independent teenager in the space of Anya's stay at Liberty. 


I really liked the chemistry between Anya and Theo. I would like Theo to play a larger role in the third and final book as I really can't stand Win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment