Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Book Review #433 - Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer

12139510




Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 


Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


My Rating: 4/5


 
According to Goodreads I have had this book sitting unread on my bookshelf since February 2012. The fact that a book of this quality sat on my shelf that long is a little embarassing. 


From the first page when I discovered that this wasn't set in the United States like virtually every other dystopian book in existence I knew I would enjoy this book. 


I didn't really know that much about the book before reading and whilst reading didn't really ever know where the book was going - which is a massive positive. Although I did predict the main and major plot twist very early in the book which was very annoying. 


The Lunars were the ideal antagonists. The abilities they have that could potentially destroy humans is just terrifying. I would have liked more explanation about them though. Like information about their home and how they initiated contact with Earth. 


Although I am not very familiar with the story of Cinderella, the only similarities I could find between the two were Cinder's family life. 


Kai was a character that I was left quite disappointed with. For him as the main male protagonist and as the potential love interest for Cinder I had expected him to be developed more. He seemed likeable enough but there just wasn't enough substance to him to enable me to connect with him. 


There were a few brief moments were I felt some chemistry between Kai and Cinder however for the most part I wasn't a fan of them as a couple. 


Plot-wise there didn't seem like there was any major structure. It seemed to follow numerous smaller plot-lines which I thought worked perfectly for this book. 


At this point I can't really see how this story can span itself over four books but I am definitely on board for checking them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment