Monday, April 28, 2014

Book Review #438 - Stolen: A Letter to my Captor by Lucy Christopher

7092412



Gemma, 16, is on layover at Bangkok Airport, en route with her parents to a vacation in Vietnam. She steps away for just a second, to get a cup of coffee. Ty - rugged, tan, too old, oddly familiar - pays for Gemma's drink. And drugs it. They talk. Their hands touch. And before Gemma knows what's happening, Ty takes her. Steals her away. The unknowing object of a long obsession, Gemma has been kidnapped by her stalker and brought to the desolate Australian Outback.


My Rating: 5/5


This is a very hard book to write a review about simply because my thoughts about it are all over the place. 


The plot was very unique, suspenseful and always engaging. This is my second Lucy Christopher book and I really love her writing style. 


What I loved most about this book is the way Gemma's narration plays with your head. Because she goes through Stockholm Syndrome, the reader does as well. 


Ty was a character that I loved whilst reading because he was so likeable and it was easy to feel sorry for him as he had such a certain vulnerability about him. 


I found that once I finished reading that I could see how what Ty did was so wrong and I found it a little scary that I wasn't able to think that clearly about him whilst reading. 


The setting of Australia was something that surprised me. I didn't expect to feel such an emotional connection with it. 


Not only is the book set for the most part in my country, it is also set in my state and at the very end it is set in my city so I found that really relateable in that regard. 

1 comment: