Friday, August 10, 2012

Book Review #168 - One Day by David Nicholls

One Day

'I can imagine you at forty,' she said, a hint of malice in her voice. 'I can picture it right now.' He smiled without opening his eyes. 'Go on then.' 15th July 1988. Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? Twenty years, two people, ONE DAY.



My Rating: 4/5


I wasn't sure about this book, and never intended to buy and read it until I found it for $2.


Before I even started reading, I knew it would be a book that I would either love or hate, and it would probably depend on how much the year changing every chapter would annoy me.


I didn't have any problem with the year jumping, but I did have a slight problem with the characters. I really wanted to like Dexter, but the way he came across at times just made it impossible. I liked Emma at first but as the novel went on she became annoying.


I read the last 55 or so pages in about the same time as I had read the previous 350 odd, because I didn't want to read it anymore after a certain plot twist and this book would have been 5 stars if it weren't for that plot twist.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the plot twist as well as about your assessment of the characters-started out liking Emma, it all went downhill.

    ReplyDelete