Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Book Review #291 - Beautiful Creatures (Castor Chronicles #1) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
 
 
My Rating: 4/5
 
 
This was the second time I read this book. I first read it in 2010 before I started this blog. I liked it considerably more this time around.
 
 
The biggest problem I had with this book when I read it three years ago was the protagonist Ethan. I thought he was weak and sensitive. This time around he didn't annoy me anywhere near as much but he was still far from my favourite character.
 
 
I really liked the feeling of a small town and how everyone knows one another and there aren't any secrets amongst them. It also gave great insight into the culture of southern America.
 
 
I liked the flashbacks which is something that I very rarely like in a book. The whole idea of Ethan and Lena reliving the past of their ancestors was something that I found interesting.
 
 
The whole paranormal aspect was something that I liked to a degree but I just felt like it lacked depth. The book ends with a cliff hanger and so I will probably be reading the sequel Beautiful Darkness pretty soon.


1 comment:

  1. Your book review was really wonderful I've added it to my bookmarks

    ReplyDelete