Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Book Review #327 - Shadowflesh (Shadowflesh #1) by Shawn Martin

Shadowflesh (Shadowflesh, #1)

Torn from her home and fighting bouts of suicidal depression, seventeen year old Aileen McCormick lands in the small coastal town of Redcliff, North Carolina. Her first day of school promises to be the worst day of her life - until she falls into the arms of Addison Wake. Addison's otherworldly charm and drop-dead gorgeous face leave Aileen breathless, but only for a moment. Grim and painful secrets lurk in his dark soul.



Addison Wake isn't exactly like other boys. Far from it. He's dead and has been for 300 years, locked in an ethereal prison by a lethal enchantress named Donelle. When she hungers, she blesses Addison's tortured spirit with moments of freedom, allowing him to roam the mortal world as Shadowflesh. But that dark blessing comes at a price. He must deliver the souls of five unsuspecting humans to Donelle.

When four dead bodies pop up in Redcliff, Aileen asks herself is her love for the mysterious boy unconditional? Is the love worth the risk? And will she be the next victim?
 
 
My Rating: 4/5
 
 
I received this book for review from the author. His website can be found here.
 
 
I really enjoyed this book. It had a nice underlying gothic feel to it which really set the tone for the novel.
 
 
Aileen was an interesting protagonist. It took me a while to warm up to her, but once I did I found her really enjoyable.
 
 
I really liked Aileen's grandmother. I would describe her as a young adult version of Grandma Mazur from the Stephanie Plum novels.
 
 
I also really liked the paranormal aspect, as it was unique and I just found the whole concept of it fascinating.
 
 
The plot was a little slow paced, but I preferred it that way. There were so many awesome characters especially Addison.



1 comment:

  1. Please check out GoodReads for a giveaway of Shadowflesh -- Shawn

    ReplyDelete