Thursday, June 20, 2013

Book Review #333 - The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

The Metamorphosis
 
As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect. He was laying on his hard, as it were armor-plated, back and when he lifted his head a little he could see his domelike brown belly divided into stiff arched segments on top of which the bed quilt could hardly keep in position and was about to slide off completely. His numerous legs, which were pitifully thin compared to the rest of his bulk, waved helplessly before his eyes.
 
 
My Rating: 3/5
 
 
This was in a book of short stories. It was only around 55 pages long. I didn't bother reading the other books as this was the only story I was interested in reading and was the primary reason I borrowed it from the Library.
 
 
The story is quite weird. The protagonist awakens one morning to find that he is now a giant insect. I knew it was going to be weird before I read it, and so I was surprised to find that I didn't think it was a weird as I thought it was going to be.
 
 
His family were unable to accept him as an insect and their relationship not only with him but amongst themselves were interesting. Especially the relationship with the parents and the sister.
 
 
I would have liked a reason as to how he came to become an insect. I felt like this would have made the story a little less weird.
 
 
I thought overall this book was thought provoking and should probably be read with an open mind.

1 comment:

  1. I had to read this for school and analyze the crap out of it so I can't say that I have the fondest memories of it. But it is an important classic, worth checking out especially due to its short length.

    ReplyDelete