Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Book Review #332 - Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler and Maira Kalman

Why We Broke Up

I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.

Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.
 
 
My Rating: 3/5
 
 
This was a very quick read. For a book that was over 300 pages in length, I finished it in no time.
 
 
I found the format a little weird at first, but once I got used to it I found it really interesting and unique. You know the outcome of their relationship from the start, and so you know where the story is constantly going to go.
 
 
The author of this book also wrote The Series of Unfortunate Events which I have a love/hate relationship with. He has a very distinct writing style, which I think was my favourite aspect about this book.
 
 
I didn't really connect with the characters and I thought that this was probably intentional. This was more about the characters feelings rather than the characters themselves.
 
 
The plot was a little hard to follow at times, again I think this was probably done intentionally. I also didn't like how 90% of the book was speech.



3 comments:

  1. What do you mean when you said that the format was a little weird??
    Lil Berry @ Forget About TV, Grab a Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a picture of an object and then writes about the meaning that object had in their relationship. I meant it was weird because it doesn't follow the popular method of chapters.

      Delete
  2. I thought this book was okay but a little angsty-spending 300+ pages describing the dissolution of a one month relationship was a bit much for me.

    ReplyDelete