Thursday, June 27, 2013

Book Review #335 - Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup

Slumdog Millionaire

Previously published as Q&A


A former tiffinboy from Mumbai, Ram Mohammad Thomas, has just got twelve questions correct on a TV quiz show to win a cool one billion rupees. But he is brutally slung in a prison cell on suspicion of cheating. Because how can a kid from the slums know who Shakespeare was, unless he has been pulling a fast one?


In the order of the questions on the show, Ram tells us which amazing adventures in his street-kid life taught him the answers. From orphanages to brothels, gangsters to beggar-masters, and into the homes of Bollywood's rich and famous, Slumdog Millionaire is brimming with the chaotic comedy, heart-stopping tragedy, and tear-inducing joyfulness of modern India.
 
 
My Rating: 4/5
 
 
Like most people who have read this book I had watched the movie first. I felt like that helped me a lot because the book is not written in any kind of order.
 
 
I felt like it was a pretty accurate portrayal of Indian culture. The only thing I found a little distracting was all the characters names were foreign and so they were hard to distinguish at times.
 
 
The whole idea of the game show was my favourite part about this book. It is a very unique and interesting story.
 
 
Even though it's predictable because you know from the start that he wins all the money, I really enjoyed the journey into his past as he explains how he knew each answer.

1 comment:

  1. I think we own the book but I've never gotten around to reading it although I enjoy the movie. This post makes me think that I actually wouldn't mind rewatching the film when I have some free time.

    ReplyDelete