Friday, January 1, 2016

Book Review #607 - I'll be There (I'll be There #1) by Holly Goldberg Sloan


25380280


My Rating: 3/5

Source: Scholastic Australia

Buy: The Book Depository


Goodreads





Everyone whose path you cross in life has the power to change you.



Emily believes in destiny. She's waiting for the moment her real life begins.


Sam wishes he could escape. He's spent his life being dragged from place to place by his father. But he could never abandon his little brother. 


Then everything changes. Because Sam meets Emily.


This tender story of star-crossed love is both romance and thriller, and a compelling exploration of the power of human connection.


The concept for this book was interesting and unique, but the execution was poor. 


The fact that this book is told from the third perspective caused so many problems for me. First, I felt distanced from the characters and thus didn't connect to any of them as much as I was supposed to have. Secondly, I felt like I was experiencing everything second-hand. Like I was being told what was happening rather being shown. 


I found Emily (the main female character) rather annoying. She was obviously bored and lonely and waiting for a boy like Sam to come along so she could finally break away her too perfect family. 


Overall, this held my attention whilst I was reading it but is not a book I would read again. Very solid for a debut novel, will definitely check out her further books to see her writing develop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment