Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Book Review #609 - Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2) by Diana Gabaldon


23482857


My Rating: 4/5


Source: Bought


Buy: The Book Depository


Goodreads





For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to the majesty of Scotland's mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones, about a love that transcends the boundaries of time, and about James Fraser, a warrior whose gallantry once drew the young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his.Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful daughter as Claire's spellbinding journey continues in the intrigue-ridden court of Charles Edward Stuart, in a race to thwart a doomed uprising, and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves.


I read Outlander back in August and given the way it ended, I wanted a break from it before starting this one. However, I recently started the TV show (which is amazing) and felt like finally returning to this world. 


When I first started reading this book I felt like I had missed something as it is set 20 or so years (or 220 years) from where it left off. I found myself slowly being immersed in the story again though and I never looked back. 


This book had so many political aspects to it that truthfully were a little boring at times but had crucial implications to the story as a whole and were definitely needed. 


So many of the characters from Outlander were not present in this book (or had very minor roles) which enabled full attention on Claire and Jamie. I felt like their relationship developed a lot in this book. 


What I loved most about this book was that it was set around a real historical event. I love books that make me want to spend hours on wikipedia after reading them. I feel like I am learning a lot about Scottish history and culture just from reading these books which I enjoy. 


There were a few new characters but none impressed me as much as Fergus. Apart from Jamie and Claire, he is definitely my favourite character in this series. 


The whole 'other' story about Claire, her daughter and Roger was a little confusing to me. I can't see how that part of the story can develop without causing ripples in the time continuum. 


The ending of this book was a really good cliff hanger and has made me want to read Voyager straight away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment