Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Book Review #616 - Carry On by Rainbow Rowell


26196299


My Rating: 3/5


Source: Bought


Buy: The Book Depository


Goodreads







Simon Snow just wants to relax and savor his last year at the Watford School of Magicks, but no one will let him. His girlfriend broke up with him, his best friend is a pest, and his mentor keeps trying to hide him away in the mountains where maybe he’ll be safe. Simon can’t even enjoy the fact that his roommate and longtime nemesis is missing, because he can’t stop worrying about the evil git. Plus there are ghosts. And vampires. And actual evil things trying to shut Simon down. When you’re the most powerful magician the world has ever known, you never get to relax and savor anything.


Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story — but far, far more monsters.



I was in the middle of a reading slump when I started reading this book and I struggled to get into it. 


I loved Fangirl when I first read it in 2014 but found I didn't enjoy it as much the second time around when I re-read it just before reading this book. 


The main issue I had with this book is its painfully obvious connection to Harry Potter. I really couldn't stop myself comparing the two and it wasn't until nearly 200 pages in that I was able to look past that. 


Another thing that bothered me is that this book is written like it is part of a series rather than a stand alone. The characters aren't properly introduced, nor is the world. I know this is supposed to be written like a fanfiction but I just wanted more in those areas for me to fully enjoy it. 


I think what ultimately saved me from not entirely disliking this book was the quality of Rainbow Rowell's writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment