Friday, January 8, 2016

Book Review #613 - When I Was Me by Hilary Freeman


25399538


My Rating: 3/5


Source: The Five Mile Press


Buy: Booktopia


Goodreads






One girl, two lives. Which is real?


When Ella wakes up one Monday morning, she discovers that she is not herself and that her life is not her own. She looks different, her friends are no longer her friends and her existence has been erased from the internet. Even worse, years of her history appear to have been rewritten overnight. And yet, nobody else thinks that anything weird has happened. 


A tense and dark psychological thriller full of unexpected twists and turns about the random events and decisions that make us who we are. If you can't trust your own memories, then who can you trust?


The biggest problem I had with this book is that I felt like it took itself too seriously. I think this was because I recently read a book with a similar type premise with alternate worlds only in that other book, the alternate world contained witches. 


I found Ella rather irritating. I thought that she changed the other Ella's life too much considering to her it would hopefully be temporary. For example, cutting her long hair that she had probably taken years to grow was a little irrational for me. 


Other than that, I found the plot rather fascinating. I wanted to find out how or if Ella would return to her normal life, which is what made me read it as quickly as I did. 


The relationship between Ella and Daniel was interesting. He was the only character that Ella wasn't critical of and it was obvious that she trusted him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment