Monday, January 18, 2016

Book Review #619 - Room by Emma Donoghue


7989157


My Rating: 5/5


Source: Bought


Buy: The Book Depository


Goodreads



Jack is five, and excited about his birthday. He lives with his Ma in Room, which has a locked door and a skylight, and measures eleven feet by eleven feet. He loves watching TV, and the cartoon characters he calls friends, but he knows that nothing he sees on screen is truly real - only him, Ma and the things in Room. Until the day Ma admits that there's a world outside...


Told in Jack's voice, Room is the story of a mother and son whose love lets them survive the impossible. Unsentimental and sometimes funny, devastating yet uplifting, Room is a novel like no other.


This book is one that I LOVED so much more than I thought I would and it is definitely in my top 5 reads of 2015. 


I just found Jack so completely fascinating and I loved that he was the narrator, just his complete innocence and curiosity made him incredibly likable. 


Life in the room was also interesting and just the thought that Jack has known nothing but life inside those four walls for his first five years of life really made me think. 


As I live in Australia, the movie adaptation of this book is not yet out (it comes out this Thursday I believe) and given the amount of award attention it is getting I have high hopes for it and can not wait to see it. 


Through Jack's innocent eyes, it is obvious what is going on, and what horrible things his mother is going through. In some ways because the story is told through Jack the reader is somewhat sheltered from the true terror of the situation. 


My part of the book that I found most interesting was watching Jack transition to life outside the room - the world he thought only existed on TV. 


No comments:

Post a Comment