Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Book Review #103 - The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities; He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning; His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.

My Rating: 5/5

I heard about this book years ago, but dismissed reading it because I thought that the protagonist was too young (he's 12) for me to enjoy reading it. However, I saw the movie and changed my mind because throughout the movie I kept thinking how great the concept would be in book format.

I knew very little of Greek Mythology prior to reading this book, and this book was a great introduction to it all and I am interested in how much more is explored throughout the rest of the series.

I liked Percy and Grover, however I didn't like Annabeth in the movie and I think I had that thought in my mind when reading the book because I didn't like her from the beginning. Hopefully I will warm up to her as the story goes on.

This book is written for younger readers, and there are immature moments throughout although there is enough in this book to make it a very enjoyable read for adults as well.

Because I watched the movie before reading the book I was surprised by how many exciting moments in the book were not included in the movie. Also there were moments in the movie that weren't in the book. They were obviously either added in or in one of the future books.

The next book in the series is called The Sea of Monsters and I currently have it on loan from my library. I am hoping to finish it before I go to Sydney this weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment